[mythtv-users] FC3 - Downloading kernel source

Steve Frank steve.frank at bevcore.com
Wed Jan 12 16:14:19 EST 2005

It's probably that the SRPM isn't out there yet, I've run across that
with the very newest kernels--for some reason the compiled ones are
there a day or so more quickly.

The release notes for Fedora Core cover this topic, and it ends up in a
lot of discussions about FC3 changes:

Quote:

In order to eliminate the redundancy inherent in providing a separate
package for the kernel source code when that source code already exists
in the kernel's .src.rpm file, Fedora Core 3 no longer includes the
kernel-source package. Users that require access to the kernel sources
can find them in the kernel .src.rpm file. To create an exploded source
tree from this file, perform the following steps (note that <version>
refers to the version specification for your currently-running kernel):

   1.

      Obtain the kernel-<version>.src.rpm file from one of the following
sources:
          *

            The SRPMS directory on the appropriate "SRPMS" CD iso image
          *

            The FTP site where you got the kernel package
          *

            By running the following command:

            up2date --get-source kernel
   2.

      Install kernel-<version>.src.rpm (given the default RPM
configuration, the files this package contains will be written to
/usr/src/redhat/)
   3.

      Change directory to /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/, and issue the
following command:

      rpmbuild -bp --target=<arch> kernel.spec

      (Where <arch> is the desired target architecture.)

      On a default RPM configuration, the kernel tree will be located in
/usr/src/redhat/BUILD/.
   4.

      In resulting tree, the configurations for the specific kernels
shipped in Fedora Core 3 are in the /configs/ directory. For example,
the i686 SMP configuration file is named
/configs/kernel-<version>-i686-smp.config. Issue the following command
to place the desired configuration file in the proper place for
building:

      cp <desired-file> ./.config
   5.

      Issue the following command: