[mythtv-users] Dual tuners - how does the sound work?

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 13 00:35:35 EST 2005

It depends on the capture card that is being used.

The PVR-x50/AverMedia M179, and other cards supported
by the ivtv driver do not require a seperate cable for
audio because the the sound is captured as part of the
MPEG-2 stream.

However, cards controlled by the bttv driver (which
are essentially frame grabbers) require some sort of
sound capture.  Some cards work with btaudio, which
generates a sound device (/dev/dspx, where x is a
number) that MythTV can read from for the sound.

Cards that don't support btaudio require a connection
to a sound card, so for every bttv card you have that
does not support btaudio, you require a sound card,
with a cable connecting the capture card to the sound
card (on the Line-In port).

It is possible to have multiple sound cards in a PC,
as long as you have enough PCI slots for them.  This
tends to be a problem for people with bttv cards,
since you wind up with two problems - bttv cards
require a lot more CPU than a PVR-x50 card, and you'll
run out of PCI slots quickly.

-- Joe