[mythtv-users] OT: LVM, partitioning over multiple drives

Michael Knoll michael.knoll at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 13:44:00 EST 2005

My video collection has expanded over multiple harddrives, and
currently I'm using a symlink farm to unify the collection.  I was
looking into LVM to join the drives into one partition, but I am
concerned about the risk of failure.  If I join the two drives into
one partition, I've added the failure risk.  Now either drive has to
fail to lose all my data, rather then one drive fail to lose half my
data.

Is anyone aware of a solution to join two drives into one partition,
other than a symlink farm, that will not risk all my data on either
drive failing?  I'd like to be able to join the partitions, but be
able to mount one of the drives and get the data off one of the
drives, even if the other fails.

Mike