[mythtv-users] OT: LVM, partitioning over multiple drives

Michael Miyabara-McCaskey mykarz at miyabara.com
Thu Jan 13 18:00:25 EST 2005

RAID5, is simple math "x + y = z", therefore the min is 3 drives... But
you lose 1 disk in the process... so 3 disks = lose 1/3rd... 4 disks =
lose 1/4th... etc... the max num of disks depends on the HW controller, or
for Software RAID on linux I dont believe there is a limit.

Obviously your usable space, gets better with the more drives you
have... Also RAID5 has very good read performance with larger block sizes,
which should do very well with large files... like video! yeah!

but....

RAID5 write performance sucks, because it takes a fair amount of CPU to
calculate the "parity" (redundancy info) bits, during a write operation.
(which is why most servers doing RAID5 have their own CPU on the HW raid
card + memory to buffer the write operations).

Now if you have a dedicated FileServer, that isn't also your Myth Backend,
then it may be fine using Software RAID... and it would be the cheapest
way to get a large volume + redundancy.

-Michael