[mythtv-users] What NOT to do to your Myth box...

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Fri Jan 14 16:48:05 EST 2005

> ooooo!  i had to reply to this.  or ask this question. :)
> is it really violating copyright by downloading bittorrented tv shows
> that you could record using your VCR/PRV/DVR?  (assuming you're paying
> for your cable or whatever service you're using...)
> if i'm already paying for the content and happen to mis-program my
> 'VCR' and don't get the show, then why can't i grab it via bittorrent?
> i'm not saying it's right or wrong, or that the MPAA won't knock on
> your door.  just asking if that would be a valid arguement.

at the very least, in America, it is a violation for those shows to be
offered for download and for those seeding it w/o authorization of the
copyright holder.  You are asking about a grey area, but you could get
in trouble for contributing to the infringment.

Note, the RIAA, so far, is only suing those making songs available on
P2P, not those just dl (i.e. not sharing).  Of course, their past
actions have no bearing on whether they, or any other copyright
holder, may start to sue people just downloading.

--
Email me if you want a gmail account, I have invites.