[mythtv-users] Which Distribution?

Hamish Moffatt hamish at cloud.net.au
Sat Jan 15 07:08:27 EST 2005

On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 11:18:03AM -0500, Craig Partin wrote:
> I use Gentoo.  Aside from being a nice distro generally, it handles
> the dependencies well for mythtv.  The portage system is killer.  Once
> you have a stable base, you just type "emerge mythtv" then wait for
> three days. ;)

That's not really a good sales pitch - any distribution that DOESN'T
handle dependencies well these days isn't worth the CD it comes on.

Once you add the unofficial Debian packages of Myth and some related
packages to your /etc/apt/sources.list, you can type

apt-get install mythtv

and be done in a few minutes. I can see the attraction to waiting three
days though...

Hamish