[mythtv-users] AMD or Intel?

Greg greg.d at cwgsy.net
Sat Jan 15 12:44:43 EST 2005

> When comparing, don't be biased by AMD's (deceptive, IMO)
> "model numbers". I.e. if you compare a 2.2GHz intel and a
> 2200+ AMD, you will be disappointed with the performance,
> since the AMD 2200+ is a 1.5GHz processor.

If I had an AMD cpu running at 2.2ghz and an Intel cpu at 2.2ghz I am fairly
certain the AMD would wipe the floor with the Intel.
Ghz speed has less to do with real world performance than you seem to
think.... Or are you telling me a celeron 340d (2.93ghz) will perform better
than an AMD64 3400+ (2.4ghz)?

> I've never used AMD because of this practice. It seems Intel
> is getting into this now with their part numbers, such as
> 520, 530, etc. The first digit being 5 implies they are
> faster than AMD's models which begin with 2 or 3.

Intel has finally realised that it can no longer sell cpu's based solely on
the ghz speed. Eg mobile processors running at much slower clock speed are
comparable in most applications to their faster desktop processors, with
much less heat and power drawn.
I'm not sure whether the last sentence was meant to be a joke or not??
Centrino processors start with a 7 maybe they even faster :) (BTW the
fastest centrino according to the intel site is 2.1ghz)

Greg