[mythtv-users] Re: Which Distribution?

Loren H. Burlingame there.can.be.only.two.apparently at gmail.com
Sat Jan 15 17:26:10 EST 2005

That is the beauty of Gentoo, add "dvd", "alsa", "lirc", "qt" and
possibly a few other key words to your USE variable, type "emerge
mythtv" and viola, a working system has emerged (pun intended) with
all of your options compiled in. Downside, as stated, is the amount of
time it takes....for me on my most recent build (1.5Ghz Sempron) it
took about 2 days or so of compile time.

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 14:44:15 -0700, Alexander Petkov
<ap154036 at cue1.umt.edu> wrote:
> ========
> any distribution that DOESN'T
> handle dependencies well these days isn't worth the CD it comes on.
> ========
>
> I (personally) disagree. I often find that dependency handling gets in the way quite often. The reason being that some of these "handled" dependencies aren't compiled with some options that I need.
>
> That said, I use mythtv on a Suse 8.2 system just fine (although I compiled mythtv on it). I, however, prefer Slackware and others based on it. Stick with Slack if you are already used to it.

Loren H. Burlingame <loren at lhb.name>
GPG Key ID: 0x112DCF4F
"Irony can be pretty ironic sometimes."
   -William Shatner (a.k.a. Buck Murdock)