[mythtv-users] Re: Which Distribution?

Hamish Moffatt hamish at cloud.net.au
Sat Jan 15 23:12:16 EST 2005

On Sat, Jan 15, 2005 at 02:44:15PM -0700, Alexander Petkov wrote:
> ========
> any distribution that DOESN'T
> handle dependencies well these days isn't worth the CD it comes on.
> ========
>
> I (personally) disagree. I often find that dependency handling gets in the way quite often. The reason being that some of these "handled" dependencies aren't compiled with some options that I need.

Then perhaps the packages you are using aren't very good.

If you're talking about CPU optimisations, you might have a point for a
few applications. Testing by some Debian developers showed that MOST
packages don't benefit from optimising for exact CPUs enough to justify
us distributing separate packages for Athlon, P3, P4 etc. Some
applications do and Debian does provide for this where possible.

You can always recompile the vendor's packages with different compile
options if you need to.

Hamish