[mythtv-users] FlyVideo 3000 (saa7134 module) problem.

nkell at optonline.net nkell at optonline.net
Sun Jan 16 17:38:27 EST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: nkell at optonline.net
Date: Sunday, January 16, 2005 2:47 am
Subject: [mythtv-users] FlyVideo 3000 (saa7134 module) problem.

> Howdy.
> I'm a 100% linux newbie, or now somewhere in the high-nineties
> after a half week of fiddling. I first tried KnoppMyth, but that
> was a bit too much of a plunge (I'm competent with DOS, and that
> almost made things worse, typing del and cd[nospace].. , etc.). So
> then I decided well, OK, I guess I need a cute GUI to start with
> {darnit! Didn't think I was that rusty with a console...). Or at
> least a text editor with mouse support. And Jarod's guide got me
> up and running (thank you, Jarod!) with FC3. In fact, the machine
> is working perfectly (or near-perfectly; tv-out is not quite
> working right and I'm reduced to overwriting xorg.conf and
> rebooting to switch between monitor and tv, but SFAIK that'd be
> off topic to ask about. ;) ).
> {I'm using the 2.6.9-1.724_FC3 kernel. Attached below are dmesg
> and lspci dumps.}
>
> After the half-week I've finally gotten video working right for
> the card (it's the US/NTSC model with the SAA7133HL not '4), via
> much mucking around with mod optios and rmmod/modprobe to test (a
> suitably-modified-for-SAA7134 FTVCO script was very helpful. And
> good lord your scripting language is a nice change from *.bat
> files!). (For the record the saa7134 module did not autodetect the
> card).
> But I'm still not getting audio or IR reception.
> It _does_ produce audio via the lineout jack, but newb that I am I
> can't get mythtv to use that; but besides I really need the over-
> the-bus audio because I'll be adding a second tuner (and sadly
> forking over Mucho Money for a PVR-x50 is not an option).
> In fact, the module doesn't autodetect any DSP at all even after
> being force-fed card type (it does do video, vbi, and radio
> though). I've tried per googling adding dsp_nr=1 and mixer_nr=1
> lines to force them to be created, but doing a cat /dev/dsp1 while
> watching tv with xawtv produces absolutely no output whatsoever
> (even after mute-unmute via xawtv or v4lctl).
>
> The same with the IR receiver; doing a cat of the input2 device
> also produces nothing whatsoever, as do the various input tools
> from the inputtools package from the v4l site. (I've used both the
> included remote to test this and a known working remote to make at
> least some signal I know is output).
>
> <snip long lspci / dmesg dumps>
> current modprobe.conf saa7134 options: card=2 tuner=2 dsp_nr=1 mixer_nr=1 ir_debug=1

Hate to reply to myself, but an update: I spoke too soon regarding audio!
I _seem_ to have gotten it to work now (YAY), a last bit of googling turning up the magic command to unmute the _OSS_ driver's dsp1 linein.
I also had to (well, I'm not sure this is required but I did it to be sure and now it's working and I'm _not_ changing it back) change the video, vbi, and radio numbers to 1 to match the dsp and mixer.
(I probably could have switched dsp and mixer to 0, but I went the other route).

That leaves me with infrared which, there not being multiple drivers muddle for SFAIK, I am not so hopeful about (and again definitely could use help! :) ).

Cheers,
NathanKell
----
In the hope that my FV3000 setup will be useful to someone, somwhere:
Setup is as in previous message in modrpobe.conf, but adding video_nr=1 and vbi_nr=1 and radio_nr=1
(and have all set to *1 in mythtvsetup for the card)
Then command:
aumix -d /dev/mixer2 -1 R
(per http://www.spinics.net/lists/vfl/msg12778.html )
then fire up mythtv and good gracious it works.