[mythtv-users] Putting a toe in the CVS water

mythtv-users.mythtv.org at tgice.com mythtv-users.mythtv.org at tgice.com
Mon Jan 17 00:10:26 EST 2005

Phill Edwards wrote:
> 2) Do I _really_ have to obliterate the existing mythtv install (the
> above HOWTO says to do rpm -qa | grep myth | xargs rpm -e)? This seems
> a bit drastic to me. Isn't there a way of keeping the ATRPM install as
> a fall-back/safety net if I stuff up with CVS?

Certainly.  And this applies in general to computer systems and
(specifically) Linux systems.  Do what I do on very important systems:
make a "Norton Ghost"-like image of your system w/ partimage (available
conveniently on  the bootable cd from http://www.sysresccd.org/) before
you make any serious changes.  Then you *always* have a perfect fallback.

That's the only way to be sure, and it'll give you some nice peace of
mind after it's tested and you've taken advantage of it on a restore.

Good luck,

jl