[mythtv-users] Automatic mythtranscode

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Mon Jan 17 00:09:53 EST 2005

> I've tried this but the resulting file is still NuppelVideo (at least I
> can't play it in mplayer or vlc and it's named something.nuv)

You're misunderstanding what mythtv does.  It records mpeg2 (pvr-x50 and
dvb cards) or nupplevideo, and transcodes to nuppelvideo.  That's it.
The internal transcode is for those people who don't have powerful
enough CPU's to encode mpeg4, but who want to later take advantage of
the disk savings it gives you over rtjpeg.  Or, for those people who
like to cut out commercials and then transcode to get rid of the
commercials and save space.

This is why I wrote nuvexport.  MythTV can't play anything other than
nuv files or mpeg2 files (which annoyingly also must have the incorrect
.nuv suffix on their name), so even if you transcoded them with
something like nuvexport, you wouldn't be able to play the resulting avi
files with MythTV (MythVideo is another thing altogether).

Given some time to work on other projects (I'm working on at least 3
major projects now, outside of work, including nuvexport) and keep
things in order with my new house, I'll eventually add some stuff to
nuvexport to make it a little more automatic (specifically, integration
into mythweb).

For now, take a look at the wildcard encoding parameters in nuvexport.
You can do something like:

nuvexport-xvid --title "My Show"

to encode all of a particular show.  There are commandline options for
just about everything, too (which I just noticed are not in the man
pages -- will have to talk to Majestik about getting them updated), so
with a little work, you should be able to get a nearly completely
automated export.

-Chris