[mythtv-users] Which Distribution?

Rob Hillis rob at hillis.dyndns.org
Mon Jan 17 04:51:47 EST 2005

Scott Alfter wrote:

>On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 11:18:03AM -0500, Craig Partin top-posted (grr):
>

>>I use Gentoo.  Aside from being a nice distro generally, it handles
>>the dependencies well for mythtv.  The portage system is killer.  Once
>>you have a stable base, you just type "emerge mythtv" then wait for
>>three days. ;)
>>
>>Downside is compiling everything manually takes forever.
>>

>When you use Gentoo, distcc is your friend.

...but can also be your worst enemy.  I've found that DistCC is
responsible for an inordinate number of compile fails which is really
annoying when you start a compile then go to bed, only to find out that
the compile stopped fifteen minutes after it started because a package
doesn't handle DistCC properly.  In fact, MythTV was one of the worst
offenders until I submitted a patch to the ebuild (shamelessly copied
from elsewhere) not long after 0.16 came out to build the individual
library components *first*.

In my experience, ccache is even worse... it made my life a misery after
I moved to linux26-headers and tried to recompile everything from glibc
back to MythTV in order to get DVB working properly again.

Of course, YMMV.  I'm quite willing to believe that I may have mucked
something up, though my machines now compile their own software without
the aid of ccache.  If you start a big compile - even x.org or KDE -
before going to work or bed, if you're running a reasonably recent
machine, it's not too bad. (says he, casting a look at the P3-500
sitting in the corner, currently compiling kde-base after kicking off
the install two days ago)

Gentoo is good - portage really is the killer feature of the distro,
particularly with a system with a heap of dependencies that have
dependencies of their own in an environment where optimisation really
does matter and make a difference. (says he, again casting a look at the
P3-500 sitting in the corner)  It's certainly not for everyone, however
for MythTV, it's good enough to be right up there, just behind KnoppMyth
(especially if you use DVB hardware) and Fedora.