[mythtv-users] Skipping adverts in UK using DVB-T - supported ?

Jules Gosnell jules at coredevelopers.net
Mon Jan 17 07:47:17 EST 2005

Christopher McEwan wrote:

>>>It's nothing to do with DVB-T though, the ad detection just isn't
>>>clever enough at the moment to find most adverts on UK TV it seems.
>>>
>>>It does find some, but not all. It also finds things which aren't
>>>ads at all so you have to be careful.
>>>

>>The ad detection doesn't really work in Australlia on Free To air
>>analogue TV either, but I thought I saw something about there being an
>>improvement in CVS a few weeks ago.
>>
>>Regards,
>>Phill

>I would hazard a guess that my setup correctly detects ads about 10%
>of the time. Im using DVB-T in the UK also with 0.16.
>
>Hopefully there will be some improvements in the commercial detection
>code, until then its not a big deal to just FF ;)

re commercial detection

everything that I can google about how mythtv/mythcommflag does it seems
to indicate that we are well into the realms of image processing and AI !

is it just urban folklore, or is there not some sort of specific
'signal' that marks the beginning/end of commercial breaks. Is there not
a similar mechanism for marking programmes, so that instead of working
by timeslot and hoping that the schedule is tight, a recorder can just
wait for the signal to start/stop the recording...

of course, if it were that easy, I'm sure mythtv would already do it,
so... - perhaps it exists, but only on some channels ?

can anyone enlighten me ?

thanks,

Jules (UK/DVB-T user)

crystallises out around it."