[mythtv-users] Re: Putting a toe in the CVS water

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Mon Jan 17 17:52:17 EST 2005

On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 03:58:21PM +1100, Phill Edwards wrote:
> I've got my MythTV machine all up and running using Jarod's guide and
> FC2 ATRPMs. Excellent work you guys!
>
> I'm now thinking of downloading the latest stuff from CVS, compiling
> and installing etc, but I'm VERY nervous about doing this in case I
> stuff up my beautiful MythTV system. As we don't have a VCR any more
> my wife would not be happy - and I'd be heartbroken! However, there do
> seem to be some good things in CVS that I'd like - such as better
> commercial flagging which doesn't work well for Australian TV under
> MythTV 0.16. I want to understand a few things better before I start:

do you know about ATrpms' CVs builds of MythTV? They are in the
bleeding section, and may eat up your favourite shows and have your
wife divorce you, but you can still treat them like usual packages
(uninstall, downgrade etc).

I would reocmmend it as a first step towards going full CVs self-build
stuff.

> 1) ATRPMs installs into /usr but all the mailing list stuff I could
> find talked about keeping different versions under /usr/local and
> using symlinks to switch between versions with tools like Stow, Encap,
> OpenPKG. There is a  HOWTO at
> http://www.mythtv.info/moin.cgi/UpgradeToCvsHowTo but it doesn't go
> into much detail. What to do if I want to install CVS stuff into
> /usr/local but all the existing ATRPM stuff is in /usr?

Better be safe and remove the rpms, otheriwse you may get mixing. The
rpms can be reinstalled easily so removing them is not an issue.

> 2) Do I _really_ have to obliterate the existing mythtv install (the
> above HOWTO says to do rpm -qa | grep myth | xargs rpm -e)? This seems
> a bit drastic to me. Isn't there a way of keeping the ATRPM install as
> a fall-back/safety net if I stuff up with CVS?

You can still reinstall the rpms, can't you?

> 3) Perhaps I'm worrying too much? Most of my effort has probably been
> getting drivers, lirc, X modelines, MythTV settings, modules.conf,
> peripheral scripts etc working. If I go to CVS are we really just
> talking about a couple of dozen of MythTV executables that will either
> work or not, and if they don't I can just go back a version as all the
> other stuff is unaffected? Is it less risky and painful than I think?

Backup up the mysql database, then nothing can really happen.

> 4) If I do this, do I have to say goodbye to ATRPMs for ever? What
> will happen, for example, if I want to go to FC3 and ATRPMs seemss the
> easiest way to do that - will I be able to do it?

Why not?

--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net