[mythtv-users] Mythvideo, PVR-350 and problems playing video smoothly [suggestions please]

Niels den Otter otter at kjoe.net
Mon Jan 17 18:12:25 EST 2005

Nick,

On Sunday, 16 January 2005, Nick Morrott wrote:
[...]
> I understand there is no xv support for the 350, hence the use of X11
> output. In both cases the video is choppy and not at all smooth. There is
> also tearing during any sort of panning. With mplayer, there is also a/v
> sync loss as soon as the video starts. I haven't tried DVD playback at all
> at this stage. Is this something that currently is unavoidable?
>
> Do any PVR-350 users have any suggestions to help improve this problem? My
> system is using a Celeron-D 2.4Ghz and 512MB of RAM in a Pundit-R system
> so should have enough grunt, and because DVB and captured MPEG2 playback
> is so good I'd hoped regular video playback wouldn't be too bad. Are there
> any glaring omissions from the player startup commands above that would
> improve things?
>
> I'm really hoping now that ATI finally live up to their promises and
> release their new driver Monday (17th) because I guess this would solve
> many problems on my Pundit-R (whether the LiveTV/playback on a TV is as
> good as the PVR-350 is another matter) - the TV-Out signal is high quality
> on the Pundit-R (both RGB and SVid) in my short experience but drivers are
> poor to say the least and as yet don't support Xorg >6.7.0. Seems Monday
> is D-Day for ATI amongst Linux users ...

I have tried several ways to get DVD playback and playing of divx files
running smooth on the PVR-350 TV-OUT (Pundit-R, Pentium 2.53, 512M), but
haven't succeeded. Strange thing is that the CPU utilisation running xine is
about 40-50% which would mean that there is room in CPU power. I was
wondering if lowering the DefaultDepth (now) 24 and/or DefaultFbbpp (now) 32
in the X config would make things better, but the ivtvdev (0.8) driver
fails to load when these numbers are changed.

Way forward for me (unfortunately) is also to try the TV-OUT port of the ATI
Radeon 9100 IGP and hope that Mythtv playback is as good is it currently is
on the PVR-350 TV-OUT.

-- Niels