[mythtv-users] Low power backend suggestions?

John Johnson johnatl at mac.com
Mon Jan 17 19:11:25 EST 2005

I haven't used it, but there is support for "wake a backend" in MythTV.
One method writes the wake-up time into the PC's CMOS, then shuts down.
The PC wakes itself to record. If you happen to have another PC that
stays on all the time, you can send a Wake-On-LAN packet to the backend
PC, assuming it has WOL support.

As far as quiet, possibly lower power, you might squeeze the base
system onto a compact flash drive. Set the recording drives to sleep
when not in use.

You could look into solar panels too :-)

Regards,
   JJ