[mythtv-users] HDTV, Myth, HD-2000, HD-3000, questions galore (and hopefully answers from the smart people... )

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Tue Jan 18 02:09:39 EST 2005

On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 11:10:39PM -0700, Matt Porter wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 09:54:50PM -0800, Alex wrote:
> > > Atleast here in Utah, Comcast is unencrypted and has been tested with
> > > the pcHDTV HD-3000 card and it works just fine.  From my pinging around,
> > > it seems about half the US has unencrypted QAM.
> > >
> > > --Brandon
> >
> > Where does one ping for such things?
> > This would influence my decision between the pcHDTV card and
> > alternatives... even if it changed later encrypted...
>
> Go to avsforum.com. Go To HDTV -> Local reception forums. Look up your
> metropolitan area and search for the answer to your question. If
> you don't find it, then post a question in your local area thread.
>
> FWIW, Cox in Phoenix has the broadcast channels unencrypted. I have
> a TV with integrated ATSC/QAM tuner that I just hook to the Cox feed
> for my OTA viewing.

As noted, in theory they are required to offer it unencrypted.  Comcast
bay area does -- but as far as I can tell not every local digital station
is available in the clear.   Oddly, one cable station, epsn-hd, _is_
in the clear.  The rest are encrypted.

The FCC did put its foot down over the stations using encryption over
the airwaves that they are given for free.  You want to do that you have
to pay for your spectrum.   However, as a sop, they got the broadcast
flag regulations.