[mythtv-users] PVR 350 TV out

Nick pvr at insidethex.co.uk
Tue Jan 18 05:55:44 EST 2005

> I've been following Jarod's guide for FC3, and have got most things
> working.  Unfortunately I'm having great difficulty getting my PVR
> 350's TV out to work.
>
> If I run the commands
>
> # /sbin/rmmod saa7127
> # /sbin/modprobe saa7127 test_image=1
>
> I see the test pattern correctly,  however if I try to pipe video
> through the tv out, with the commands:
>
> # /usr/bin/ivtvfbctl /dev/fb1 -noglobalalpha -localalpha
> # dd if=/dev/video0 of=/dev/video16 bs=64k
> I just get what looks like a blank screen with a load of interference
overlayed.

First unload the test image. Which input have you selected for output - you
may be seeing the tuner which is likely not yet tuned to a signal. Can you
see any movement on the TV or just snow?

Check to make sure your devices exist:

# ls -l /dev/video*

Also, check your system logs for the ivtv init output, this can provide
useful info on what's happening.

Now repeat these two commands, changing x in the first command for values
between 0 and 9:

# /usr/bin/ivtvctl -p x
# dd if=/dev/video0 of=/dev/video16 bs=64k

This will go through the card's inputs in turn - hopefully you'll see
something on the TV on one of them - have you got a composite or S-Video
source hooked up to the card?

If /dev/fb1 is your ivtv framebuffer you can also try:

# /usr/bin/ivtvfbctl /dev/fb1 -globalalpha -nolocalalpha

or

# /usr/bin/ivtvfbctl /dev/fb1  -alpha -on -globalalpha -nolocalalpha (I have
to use this one)

to try to get rid of the lines on the screen when ivtv loads.

> I've also tried to run X through the tv out, using the appropriate
> xorg.conf file.  In this case I get a static screen made up of lots of
> tiny dots that looks pink/purple/blue from a distance.

Try and get normal TV-out working first, then X once this is working
normally.

Check here for ivtv help:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/ivtv/devel/ - lots of valuable info.

Nick