[mythtv-users] Re: Sounds problems: Testing CD1 in

Ryan Steffes rbsteffes at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 21:32:05 EST 2005

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 12:06:20 -0500, Ryan Steffes <rbsteffes at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm looking for a way to test the line in (labeled CD1, but I don't
> think it matters) on my motherboard.  I'm having trouble determining
> if my sound problems are caused by the motherboard, the capture card,
> or the configuration.  The basic ghist of my problem is that my
> machine just suddenly stoppped recording sound.  I put the capture
> card in my Windows box and sound seemed to work (I'm going to redo
> this test to see if it's like an intermittent thing).  When I plugged
> a CD player into that slot it seemed to work, but I'm not sure if the
> CD drive is playing over the IDE bus or through the line in.  I was
> thinking that it's through line in because using aumix to drop the
> volume on CD did lower the volume on the CD.  I used  xmms to play the
> CD though and it was very jumpy; I don't know if this indicates a
> problem.
>
> Basically, I'm trying to figure out how to devise a test for each
> component to narrow down where my trouble is coming from, and I don't
> know a way to isolate the line-in on the motherboard.
>
> It does fail the xawtv test suggested in the Doc, but I don't know
> what to do with that information to figure out WHY.

Here's what I tried after work tonight:  I plugged a CD drive into the
CD in and pressed the play button on the front.  Doing 'aplay
/dev/dsp' did result in sound.  Plugging the capture card back in and
doing 'xawtv' did NOT result in sound.  That has me thinking either
the capture card is bad and not outputting sound, or something weird
is going on.  (It's an old Happuage WinTV-Radio if that makes a
difference).  The weirdest part is that the sound did come through if
I plug the card into my WinXP system, or at least did the other day.
I guess I'll try that again. I am correct in thinking that using xawtv
should result in the capture card trying to play out sound through the
line right?