[mythtv-users] The next version of MythTV

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Wed Jan 19 23:25:07 EST 2005

On Wed, Jan 19, 2005 at 09:17:56PM -0600, Andy Long wrote:
> I certainly echo both of these.  Having "one button" navigation
> functions would be nice.  Does anyone know if it would already be
> possible to do this via some kind of script that my lircrc file would
> call?

I daresay what's clearly needed most of all is a help system, so
new users do not remain unaware of features and commands open to
them.   I'm not too surprised the users are unaware of this, you have
to go into  mythweb (which many users might not even know exists)
and set up keystrokes for the jump commands for all your frontends
(independently) then LIRC configuration to have your remote issue those
keys.

If such a help system were to appear (presumably by pressing something
like "?" on any screen) I would be happy to write up some help screens.

Generally you would want screens that explain your options on that
page, any special keystrokes that work only in that area, and links
to master pages of general commands and keystrokes, as well as a link
in mythbrowser (or for that matter firefox) to web pages with more detailed
help

Thus these users would have hit help (The theme would be encouraged
to have '? = help' in the corner of the screen) and help would appear
in the main menu (possibly displacing something else).  They would
have had to follow the help chain to general commands which would
have featured a section on "Keystrokes that work anywhere" or
a section perhaps called "How to configure your remote and keyboard
keys to do things".  I would recommend there be some predefined
keystrokes, like:
            Alt-T -- Watch live TV
            Alt-R -- Recordings list (Watch Recordings)
            Alt-G -- Program guide for scheduling
            Alt-S -- High level scheduling menu
            Alt-I -- Info center
            Alt-D -- Optical Disks/Dvds

as a possible reasonable default set.   I think these are the
most common commands (with Live TV and Recordings List the big
winners by far) but of course heavier users of MythMusic and other
tools will have those on your list.