[mythtv-users] mplayer patches for mythnuv

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Thu Jan 20 13:44:45 EST 2005

On Thu, 2005-01-20 at 10:16 -0800, Chris Petersen wrote:
> > Because I want to take a recording to a machine which is not connected
> > to a backend?  Like a laptop while I travel for instance.
>
> ah.  use nuvexport or nuv2avi?

LOL.

First of all, the "step-by-step" menu process of nuvexport, while it is
nice for one-off conversions, is a PITA for bulk transfer.  Second of
all, it seems (although I have not dug very deeply) that it cannot be
run on anything but the MythTV backend machine.

That machine, in my network has got a tiny CPU and as such is not
terribly well suited for video transcoding.  I only get just less than
2fps on it using nuvexport.  However, I can get >30fps transcoding MJPEG
-> MPEG4 on my workstation (much beefier) with mencoder however.  I
would like to do the same with NUV streams.

Maybe nuv2avi is the way to go.  I will have to check that out.  Any
pointers to where I can find it while I am on topic about it?

Or even better, how about a nuv2yuv/nuv2wav pair of tools that do the
same for NUV as lav2[yuv|wav] do for MJPEG streams?  Then we can
re-encode with whatever we want (as long as it will take wav/yuv input
as tools such as oggenc and mencoder (respectively) do.  Better to
create small tools that do their job really well and provide
good/standard interfaces to other small tools that are doing their job
really well.

b.