[mythtv-users] OT: firewire ports on HDTV's?

Doug Larrick doug at ties.org
Fri Jan 21 07:36:52 EST 2005

Ken Davis wrote:
> I'm in the process of looking around for a new TV to replace my aging
> 48inch Sony.  I've run across the Mitsubishi WS-55615.  The price is right
> and this model appears to have all the latest/greatest inputs, including 3
> firewire inputs.  Anybody know what people are using those for?  Also any
> comments on this particular model Mits TV would be appreciated.

Theoretically, it allows shipping still-compressed MPEG data to the TV,
rather than having to decompress it in software (Myth) or in a set-top
box.  I say theoretically because I have not heard of anyone actually
doing so; certainly there is not support in Myth to do so (though I
don't think it would be hard for somebody motivated enough).

-Doug