[mythtv-users] FC3, HD-3000, PVR-350...HELP!

Paul Leppert phlepper at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 10:40:05 EST 2005

Jason,

I'm in the same boat and would be happy to share any info you find to
help with this.  I have been installing using Jarod's guide with the
HD-3000 and PVR-250 as well.  I have a myth system working with just
the PVR-250, but now am trying to get a clean install working with the
two cards together (I also tried just adding the HD-3000 to my
existing myth system (a 2.6.9 kernel system) but that didn't work for
me either).

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 16:07:56 -0800, Jason Weinstein <potuncle at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am currently trying with a fresh install of FC3 and following both
> Jarod's guide (http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/fcmyth.php), David George's
> guide (http://thegeorges.us/mythtv/ &
> http://thegeorges.us/mythtv/267.html), along with numerous posts on
> mythtv-users, mythtv-dev, and the pcHDTV forums. David George's pages
> seem useful, but some of the links to patches are invalid.

I'm currently working through a process of following Jarod's guide and
then when I get to the ivtv install, actually performing the pcHDTV
install along with the ivtv.

> What, i think, would really help are answers to the following questions:
>
> - What kernel should I be using (2.6.7, 2.6.9, or 2.6.9-1.724_FC3) ?
> - Which patches should I apply to the kernel (kraxel, David Georges,
> pcHDTV's, any other v4l patches)?
> - Which version of ivtv (0.2.0-rc3d, 0.3.2b, 0.2.0rc3a) ?
> - What should my modprobe.conf include?

Can't answer what *should* we use, but I am using 2.6.10-1.741_FC3
with the pcHDTV 1.6 drivers (which include the ivtv 0.2.0-rc3a
drivers).

So when I got to the ivtv install in Jarod's instructions, instead, I
did the following:

1. Install pcHDTV 1.6 drivers (performed a make / make install of the
kernel-2.6.x driver).  Note that in order to get a clean compile, I
had to change the pci_save_state / pci_restore_state calls in the bttv
and cx8800 drivers to remove the second parameter (which is now
obsolete in kernel 2.6.10).
2. Copy the pcHDTV tuner.h / id.h files from the 1.6 folders to the
ivtv 0.2.0 folder (ivtv included with the 1.6 package).
3. make / make install of ivtv
4. add entries to the modprobe.conf file for the two drivers
          alias char-major-81 videodev
          alias char-major-81-0 ivtv
          alias char-major-81-1 cx8800

Note in #4, that I'm not sure what the second number should be for the
cx8800 (does the -1 equate to video1?  if so, the cx8800 install
configures /dev/video32 as an s-link to /dev/dtv0, so maybe it should
be alias "char-major-81-32 cx8800" ?? ).

Once the above was done, I was able to use the dtvsignal / dtvscan
utilities successfully with the HD-3000 and was able to capture video
from /dev/video0.  Unfortunately, the video0 video capture didn't show
anything (just static) and the above steps don't install the ptune-ui
utils.  When I tried to run them from the ivtv folder (utils) folder,
I don't have the necessary perl prerequisite libraries.

So, then I tried installing ivtv via apt-get (following Jarod's
instructions: ivtv-firware, ivtv-kmdl, & ivtv) and then building the
ivtv drivers on top of it (another make / make install), so now the
ivtv module still loads, but the cx8800 gives a bunch of "undefined
symbol" errors and won't load.

Even though the ivtv loads, I still cannot get a signal out of it
(although I can now run ptune).

> Please remember I'm trying to get both the HD-3000 (for ATSC) and the
> PVR-350 (for NTSC) working and I don't care/need the TV-out of the
> PVR-350.

Same as me (except I'm using the PVR-250).

Paul
--
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.  --  Confucius