[mythtv-users] XBOX Implementation

Matt Picker mpicker21 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 21 16:28:34 EST 2005

--- Greg Foster <greg.foster at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 16:22:48 -0000, George Styles
> <george at ripnet.co.uk> wrote:
> > > 1) I plan on buying a second hand XBOX and
> putting Linux on it to run
> > > MythTV as a Front End to the rest of my system
> >
> > > Q.1 Wondered if I could get a Webcam working
> with the XBOX (nice to
> > > have!)
> >
> > The XBox features 4 USB ports, so a USB webcam
> would work (with an adapter
> > which is a passive, easily home-made job)

Definately easy to do.  Check out www.xbox-scene.com
for info on how to wire that up.  I myself wired a
small usb hub up to a controller cable so I that I can
have multiple devices hooked up without using multiple
cables.  Drivers shouldn't be too bad.  I myself have
2 webcams that I have gotten working with linux.
Google around.  There are some drivers built in to the
kernel that you could compile.  If the distro you
choose doesn't have it compiled you will have to do a
bit of that on your own.  Most others are supported by
other projects.  Most drivers support many differant
models and often even different brands.

> > > Q.2 Would anyone suggest anythign better as a
> Front End Server other
> > > than the xBox?
> >
> > Those new Mini Macs look like a very tempting
> alternative. If I wanted a
> > frontend, I would start looking there
> > Having said that, the TV out on the XBox (on a RGB
> scart lead) is first
> > class.

Can't offer up any suggestions here.  Don't have the
financial resources to buy anything so I haven't been
looking.

> > > Q.3 If anyone has put Myth on Linux on and
> Xbox... Could they contact me
> > > so I could discuss the implementaiton and
> gotchas etc!!
> >
> > It takes AGES to compile on the xbox, as it only
> has 64 meg of ram. I found
> > it needed LOADS of swapspace (think a gig or so)
> to compile myth.
> > Also, I had very bad luck with Xebian, and better
> luck with GentooX

Check that recent post that showed where on the
xbox-mythtv site to find the stuff you have to
download.  It is there.  I use that distro because its
what I need without having to do as much work.