[mythtv-users] DVI to Sony HS420 series HDTV

Joe Barnhart joebarnhart at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 22 18:35:59 EST 2005

--- Brad Templeton <brad+myth at templetons.com> wrote:

> >From what I have seen, most HDTVs really only take
> 1080i, they need
> an interlaced mode.
>
> What amazes me is that they don't just make them
> take 1080p.  I mean
> there are computer monitors that cost $200 these
> days that can do
> that, the electronics just aren't that expensive any
> more.  90%
> of them are just downscaling to 1280x720p, or even
> EDTV so it doesn't
> make that big difference to them.

Doesn't this take a dual-DVI connection for a digital
link?  I thought a single DVI topped out at 1080i/720p
and greater bandwidth required two DVI channels.

> However, unfortunately taking 720p signals, and
> converting them to 1080i
> in your PC and then having the tv convert them back
> to 1280x720 (not
> really i or p) really hurts the quality.

So does converting 720p to 1080i for display on a
native 1080i set.  The display artifacts are just
horrible when the camera pans across, say, a football
field with all those nearly-horizontal lines!