[mythtv-users] mythsetup error on new gentoo install

Robert Denier denier at umr.edu
Sun Jan 23 03:08:02 EST 2005

Well other than the obvious..

Try rebooting to insure everything is running on the new versions after
all that.  I rather doubt its necessary, but it couldn't hurt.  Of
course just getting out of X and back in is likely all thats needed, if
even that.

You might also try a
/etc/init.d/mysql restart
just to be sure.  Also check out the logs afterward to see if anythings
wierd there.  The directions on the myth page worked for me.  (You might
have to restart the system logger or do some other way to flush the logs
to disk to read them.)

Is it something to do with the user your running it as perhaps?   Try root.

Did you create the initial database?  I believe there are two commands.
One to setup the mysql database and one thats myth specific...

Is that -kde flag causing you problems? It seems unlikely, but stranger
things have happened.

Are the access permisions for mysql correct?  I didn't think they had to
be set to get it going though..

This might be useful.

http://mion.elka.pw.edu.pl/~mjankows/qtmyadmin/faq.html

Finally if all else fails and you have 5 GB or so available to play
with, I'd suggest entering a chroot environment and building a clean
gentoo build in the background.  Something like untar a stage3 tarball,
then set use flags and the rest, mount portage, nice emerge -u world &&
nice emerge kde mythtv.  Once configured and booted  you can see if that
works.  Of course this is a bit of an extreme solution, so it would be
one of the last things tried due to the time required to do a full
recompile.  Distcc might be helpful there.