[mythtv-users] Jerky motion on wireless frontend

Robert Denier denier at umr.edu
Mon Jan 24 17:11:43 EST 2005

I don't know what form of wifi your using, but 802.11b really
doesn't have the bandwidth to do myth smoothly.  You may be able
to compensate by reducing the capture resolution and/or bitrate.  Using
mpeg4 instead of rtjpeg should help as well.  Also check your cpu
utilization
during usage.  If your averaging more than say 50%  I suspect you'll
have issues
at times for certain complex scenes..

Other than that I suppose you could try 802.11g??.   I'd find out what works
before going there though, asuming you don't already have it of course.

One thing I don't quite get is you say you play remotely mounted dvd'ss
no problem.  That bandwidth should be as high or higher than myth is doing..

Assuming some caching is going on locally you could play about 10
seconds and
then hit the back around and see how it goes then....  I'm not sure if
that will
help or not..  Still the only obvious solution is to back off on the
compression settings
and/or resolution.  Sooner or later you should find a point the system
can handle
without jerky motion unless something else is going on.