[mythtv-users] Fwd: Recording Profiles

Matt mdm at ii.net
Mon Jan 24 21:07:47 EST 2005

Hi all,

Please forgive such a basic question, but I can't find appropriate documentation
anywhere.

I have recently completed building my Myth server using CVS (from three days
ago) and applied the DVB patch 3.5 and appropriate AC3 patches.  The server is
surprisingly stable.

My question is around recording profiles, their function and settings.  One the
the main reasons I have gone for Myth is to allow me to use and store High
Definition (primarily 1080i here in Sydney, Australia) without compromising its
quality.  I don't really want to compress the stream from the transmission and I
would prefer to keep them in native format - and yes, I have allocated storage
space accordingly.

Are Recording profiles and their settings only applicable for transcoding, or
are they applied real-time during the recording process?  If they are always
applied, do I need to create separate profiles for the different transmission
specifications (SD, ED, HD)?  Has anyone else managed to create a
partner-friendly setup to reduce the learning curve for recording quality setup?

TIA,

Matt.