[mythtv-users] Jerky motion on wireless frontend

Alex Polite notmyprivateemail at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 04:04:04 EST 2005

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 16:11:43 -0600, Robert Denier <denier at umr.edu> wrote:
> I don't know what form of wifi your using, but 802.11b really
> doesn't have the bandwidth to do myth smoothly.

No I'm running 802.11g. I can push about one GB over the link in about
six minutes. That's more than enough to play DVDs and it should be
more than enough to play the programs recorded with mythtv. At the
resolution I record the nuv-files are about 700 MB/hour.

This all means that I'm only using a fraction of my bandwidth. I've
confirmed it with different network monitoring tools.

At first I thought that it might be a network latency problem. But
when I realized that the jerkiness is there even in the transcoded
files. This suggests that I have a problem at the level of recording.

I'm running the backend as user mythtv. I'll try to run it as root
with realtime priority. We'll see if that makes a difference.

alex

--
Alex Polite
http://polite.se