[mythtv-users] Fwd: Recording Profiles

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Tue Jan 25 09:23:16 EST 2005

Matt wrote:

>Quoting Isaac Richards <ijr at case.edu>:
>

>>On Monday 24 January 2005 10:59 pm, David Whyte wrote:
>>

>>>Aaaahh!  ~sound of brain clunking~
>>>
>>>I think it is starting to make sense.  So, if I setup my recording
>>>profile to encode in DivX, then recorded a program using that profile,
>>>will the output be a nice small DivX file even though I have a DVB-T
>>>card that puts put MPEG2?
>>>

>>No.
>>
>>Isaac
>>

>So the recording profiles do not modify the stream on-the-fly and are only
>provided for transcoding?
>
>Thanks :)

No.  :)

Recording profiles are applicable for "Software encoders" as I believe
is evident by that text prior to entering that screen (I'm not in front
of my Myth box right now but I think I recall something about software
encoders in that setup section).  Hardware encoders like HDTV, DVB, and
PVR-x50s recording in their native formats and need transcoding to be
coverted otherwise.

Kevin