[mythtv-users] PVR-350 TV-OUT Locking up

Nick pvr at insidethex.co.uk
Tue Jan 25 10:36:16 EST 2005

From: "Corey Haim" <gmaddr-usenet at yahoo.com>
To: <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 25, 2005 2:47 PM
Subject: [mythtv-users] PVR-350 TV-OUT Locking up

> I am tantalizingly close to getting my box working.
>
> When I boot up with the configurations at the end of this email I can
> see the output change from the monitor to the TV, 'X' cursor appears but
> the system freezes (from the display point of view) (CTL+ALT+Fx, BkSp
> etc do nothing, mouse does not respond). The system is still OK, as I
> can use webmin in this hung state.
>
> If I remove the commands from rc.local below, use a vga monitor based
> xorg.conf and let it boot into the desktop, I can manually execute the
> commands and get my system to work with the TV with OSD perfectly --
> beautfiul quality. However the mythfrontend is on the monitor. Remote
> works too.
>
> I feel I have read everything on this matter and don't know where to go
> next. I would greatly appreciate some guidance. I am so close yet so far.

Hi,

When I tried running FC3 (I now use FC2 successfully with a 350 and a
Nova-T) I had very similar probs which were framebuffer related. I only
solved it by compiling a new kernel with the console framebuffer options
removed to get rid of the problems, as nothing else seemed to work. Have you
tried any of the ivtv 0.3.x series drivers as an alternative?

On a side note, your encoder firmware is logged as buggy, but I don't know
what effect this will have on the output of your card when it's actually
encoding video. You can find a list of most PVR-350 firmwares (enc/dec)
here: http://ivtv.writeme.ch/tiki-index.php?page=FirmwareVersions

Cheers,
Nick