[mythtv-users] *bump* remote frontend; ALSA not working

Christopher Singley csingley at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 12:45:16 EST 2005

thank you kindly for your response.

> Most of my problems with sound have been because of file permissions.

i did indeed have such problems initially, but i added the mythtv user to
the audio group, and i did "chmod 777 /dev/sound/dsp".  still, though, no
permutations of ALSA:xxx or /dev/xx/dsp are working.  the mythtv user can
aplay using the default ALSA device, without issue.

> If you're attempting to use ALSA devices, make sure your myth is compiled
> with ALSA support.

i used the gentoo ebuild of mythtv-0.16, with both the alsa and oss
make-flags switched on.

> You don't mention an error message so there's part of me that wonders if
> you've
> double-checked that you have sound coming in on the recorded video.

an excellent question, but indeed i have done so.  i fixed the msp3400.ko
situation on the backend and verified that the backend was fully
functional before i proceeded to work on the remote frontend.  a video
that will play with sound on the backend plays without sound on the
frontend.

i am getting no errors inside mythtv on the on-screen display, but the
console output of mythfrontend is spitting out some errors.  it says "Not
in the running state, state=2".  Sometimes it also says,
"pthread_setschedparam: Operation not permitted".

> btw - I don't believe you set the frontend audio output using
> mythsetup.  It's done
> through Setup -> General from mythfrontend, isn't it?  Was that a typo
> above?

it was, pardon me.

thanks very much for any help.  i am just about at wits' end with this
device.  i must be overlooking something very basic, but i can't figure it
out.

would it perhaps help to recompile mythtv with ALSA support, but without
OSS?

cs