[mythtv-users] lirc setup question

John Freer john_freer at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 27 09:40:58 EST 2005

Hey all,

Looking for some lirc setup advice.  I just did a fresh install, FC3.

I installed 2.6.9 / 724 kernel.

I have (4) capture cards, (2) bttv Hauppauge cards & (1) bttv HD-2000
card.  Also one PVR-250.

For drivers I'm running the latest stable atrpms version of IVTV and
I'm running the pchdtv 1.6 version of the bttv driver.

So here's my problem.  I can't for the life of me get lirc to work
properly.  There are problems and annoying udev problems.

Problem 1:

When I modprobe lirc_i2c, it registers the (2) hauppauge bttv card
i2c IR chips first.  I see that they're registered, and /dev/lirc0
and /dev/lirc1 are created in /dev.

(A hint here for those others having trouble:  In modprobe.conf I
changed from char-major-61 lirc_i2c TO two lines: char-major-61-0
lirc_i2c and char-major-61-1 lirc_i2c.  This resulted in the creation
of the proper 2 device entries (/dev/lirc0 and /dev/lirc1).

HERE's THE PROBLEM:

lirc_dev can't register the plugin for the PVR-250 (IVTV) IR chip
because lirc_dev puts into dmesg "no free slots for plugins!"

Is there a limit of some type in the kernel?

Anyway, if I (at each boot), create ln -s /dev/lirc0 /dev/lirc and
then fire up /etc/rc.d/init.d/lircd start, then the daemon starts and
I can start irw.

I'm not getting output from irw, but at least the program fires up.

I'm hoping that if I can solve the "no free slots for plugins!"
problem, then it might fix the rest.

Any thoughts?

JF