[mythtv-users] X and PVR 350

Chris Martin council.tax at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 14:23:51 EST 2005

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 12:21:58 -0600, Will Otte <wotte at dre.vanderbilt.edu> wrote:
> Hi Chris -
>
> I recently had a problem similar to yours. See below for my comments.
>
> Chris Martin wrote:
> > I've finally managed to pass some video through my PVR 350' s TV out* so the
> > next step is to try and get X running.  For some reason IVTV is not being
> > run while the system boots, so I'm currently doing:
> > # /sbin/depmod -a
> > # /sbin/modprobe ivtv
> >

> Look in Jarod's guide where it talks about building the initrd.  This
> will allow the TV out to work during boot up.
>
> > Then editing my xorg.conf file to give me the appropriate settings and
> > pressing ctr-alt-backspace to restart X.  Unfortunately, and somewhat
> > predictably,  the X Server refuses to restart.
> >
> > Some information.
> > I'm using FC3 Following Jarod's guide
> > I'm in the UK so I'm trying to get the thing to display on a PAL TV
> >
> > cat /var/log/messages |grep "iTVC15 TV out" returns:
> > Jan 26 16:22:14 localhost kernel: ivtv-osd: fb1: iTVC15 TV out frame buffer
> > device
> >
> > /sbin/lspci -v  returns:
> > 02:09.0 Multimedia video controller: Internext Compression Inc iTVC15 MPEG-2
> > Encoder (rev 01)
> >        Subsystem: Hauppauge computer works Inc. WinTV PVR-350
> >        Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 11
> >        Memory at f0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=64M]
> >        Capabilities: [44] Power Management version 2
> >
> > MY IVTV Init suggests I'm using  ivtv: version 0.3.2 (c), which isn't the
> > one that Jarod says I should be using, although I did install it from the
> > at-testing rpms.  If part of the problem is that I should be using ivtv
> > 0.2.0rc3c then I need to know how to 'downgrade'.
> >
> > I've also attached my modprobe.conf and xorg.conf files as it's probably in
> > one of those that the problem lies.
>
> I would suggest that you grab the latest release version of IVTV from here:
>
> http://205.209.168.201/~ckennedy/ivtv/ivtv-0.2.0-rc3e.tgz
>
> compile, and install it.  This release contains a patch that solves a
> problem some folks (myself included) have been having with FC3/ PVR 350
> TV out.
>
> Keep in mind that you will have to make sure to uninstall the kernel
> modules installed by apt.
>
> hth,
> /-Will

Thanks Will,

I've managed to get X running over the PVR 350's TV Out using
ivtv-0.2.0-rc3e as you suggested.  The main problem now is the video
performance through mythvideo: it seems to play at maye 1/2 -> 2/3 of
the proper speed.  The files are xvids and they run fine when I'm
running mythvideo outputting to my monitor.

Is it normal for mythvideo performance to be so poor on the PVR 350's
TV Out and is there anything I can do to fix it?

thanks

Chris