[mythtv-users] CableCard for the PC and MythTv

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Thu Jan 27 16:04:53 EST 2005

On Thursday 27 January 2005 14:22, Peter Judge wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know if there are plans to support CableCard within Myth?
I guess this is a 2 part question. The first part being, are there any
efforts out there to make a CableCard reader for the PC, and secondly,
will Myth support CableCard?

> I read the thread on CableCard and Myth a short time ago, and the main
thrust of that seemed to be geared to getting around paying for cable.
I have no problem paying for my cable TV, but having 2 boxen (the cable
STB and myth) to do the work of one seems wasteful, and complicating,
especially when dealing with channel changes etc.

> The CableCard, as I understand it, simply decrypts the signal from the
cable company, but doesn't provide EPG. Myth does that quite nicely.  I
know that the CableCard spec isn't finalised yet, but I'm still
interested in any information anyone mught have on this.

I think you're asking the wrong question.  What you probably want to ask
is:

(1) Will there ever be any tuner/capture cards that support both QAM and
CableCard
(2) If so, will there be Linux drivers for them (either provided by the
vendor or specs open enough to enable the OSS community to write them)

If the answer to both questions is "yes", then the answer to your
question is "probably".

-JAC