[mythtv-users] X and PVR 350

Dan Wilga dwilga at MtHolyoke.edu
Fri Jan 28 09:16:40 EST 2005

At 7:23 PM +0000 1/27/05, Chris Martin wrote:
>I've managed to get X running over the PVR 350's TV Out using
>ivtv-0.2.0-rc3e as you suggested.  The main problem now is the video
>performance through mythvideo: it seems to play at maye 1/2 -> 2/3 of
>the proper speed.  The files are xvids and they run fine when I'm
>running mythvideo outputting to my monitor.

If the files are not the exact size (and therefore need scaling),
then this has to be done in software. This means each frame has to be
copied to the 350's framebuffer, which is too slow to be useable. Or,
if the files are not in MPEG2 format, then you're in the same boat,
because the 350 can't decode MPEG4.

Basically, any time the video has to be processed in software,
bypassing the 350's built-in decoder, you'll have this problem. Even
my relatively fast machine (3.0 GHz P4) can't copy to the framebuffer
fast enough.

Dan Wilga                                         dwilga at mtholyoke.edu
Web Administrator                             http://www.mtholyoke.edu
Mount Holyoke College                                Tel: 413-538-3027
South Hadley, MA  01075            "Who left the cake out in the rain?"