[mythtv-users] HDTV and MythTV

Tom E. Craddock, Jr. sigtom at sigtom.com
Fri Jan 28 18:33:41 EST 2005

Drew Zerdecki wrote:

>I have a few questions regarding HDTV and Myth. If anyone can add
>there two cents, I'd appreciate it.
>
>1.     What is the best HDTV card out there for MythTv?  Wasn't there
>a special one I need to hurry to get to avoid broadcast flag issues?
>
>2.     HDTV output:
>
>       Can I output the HD signal through the DVI out of my FX5200
>using a DVI to HDMI?
>
>       I only have a HDMI input on my TV?
>
>      Or, is there component or DVI out via the HD card?
>

>3.    Can I use HDTV encoding card and a PVR 350 in the same box?
>
>4.    Overall:  will I be happy with HDTV and MythTV on a P4 3Ghz, 512
>RAM, 400GB HD?  or is the quality not there yet?
>

>Thanks so much for your help.
>
>-Drew

1.) After July 05, you wont be able to buy anny devices that ignore the
broadcast flag.  Any card that is now on sale that ignores the flag wont
be available legallay in the USA after July, so get one while you can.
pcHDTV3000 (at pchdtv.com) is the one alot/most use.

2.) Not sure if anyone has had success with DVI out to a DVI to HDMI
converter, the way that I use, and I think is the easiest, is to get a
VGA to RGB converter (Audio Authority A960 I think is the model #, you
can get more info at audio authorities site and at Jarod Wilsons MythTV
and FC.)

3.) Yes there has been work done on getting a pvrx50 card and the pcHDTV
card to work together, and I know that some have had success in doing
so. Im trying it this weekend, then Ill know for sure heh :-)

4.) Should be fine with that config.  What kinda vid card are you
using?  I personally like nvidias card or mythtv and HDTV.

Tom