[mythtv-users] HDTV and MythTV

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Fri Jan 28 20:42:47 EST 2005

On Fri, Jan 28, 2005 at 07:02:33PM -0500, Preston Crow wrote:
> This may sound like a nitpick, but there are no HDTV encoding cards.
> HDTV is already compressed, so it's encoded by the broadcaster (using

Don't take this the wrong way, because I fully agree that one of the
most common misconceptions people have here about HDTV is that they
don't understand how it comes already compressed -- I even wrote
a web page about that - but if you want to pick a real nit, there
_are_ HDTV encoding cards:

    http://broadcastengineering.com/news/broadcasting_evertz_releases_cshd/

They're just _really_ expensive, and not supported by Myth.

In a couple of years, Moore's law will change that, though they also
plan to get rid of unencrypted digital outputs on cable boxes as soon
as they can.