[mythtv-users] Re: No sound after apt-get upgrade

William Lott mythusersmail at wlott.org
Sat Jan 29 15:28:04 EST 2005

Andy Rabin wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 22:03:06 -0600, Andy Rabin <andy.rabin at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I've been using my system for a few months now.  After finally fixing
>>the video quality, the recordings timing got goofy on me.  An hour
>>long show recorded would show that it was an hour and a half or
>>longer...but actually play the hour (less commercials : )  So I
>>figured before mailing the list, I'd make sure everything was upgraded
>>and give it a reboot.  Now, I suddenly have no sound!!!  I'm pretty
>>sure its a config that got screwed up somewhere, but I don't know
>>where to look.  Recordings and live tv have the same problem, even
>>recordings that were made previously that i've seen with sound!!!
>>
>>Please help!!  Let me know what I should post info wise here, and I'll
>>be more than happy to.
>>
>>System is FC1, running 2 PVR-250's, and lots of old hardware, but it
>>all worked before!!
>>
>>Thanks in advance,
>>Andy
>>

> I realize this probably isn't the right list for this now, but after
> more digging around with the system today, it appears that my whole
> install is pretty screwed up.  The hat menu doesn't have any entries
> in it, and kcontrol has nothing in it for me to modify.  I'm not sure
> what happened, but I'd be happy to post any logs or send this to a
> different list if someone could just point me in the right direction!!
>
> Thanks,
> Andy

This sounds a lot like some of the problems I've had.  The KDE menus
came back on their own after a restart, so I have no idea if I actually
had to do something to fix them.  The no-sound issue turned out to be
that the new ivtv driver needs a special version of the msp3400 driver
named msp3400-ivtv.  Put:

	alias msp3400 msp3400-ivtv

in your modules.conf and check the logs for 'msp34xx: ivtv version'.  (I
can't access my mythtv box right now, so I can't check for the exact
message.)

Oh wait, I just noticed that you said that even old recording has no
sound.  You probably have some other sound problem then -- I was getting
some recordings with sound and some without.

Hmm...  I guess I don't have anything helpful to add afterall.  Sorry
about that.  But you'll need that alias thing once you get your other
problems figured out.

Good luck.

-William