[mythtv-users] DVI, LCDs and HDCP

cy53 at comcast.net cy53 at comcast.net
Sat Jan 29 17:05:54 EST 2005

Joe Barnhart wrote:
> --- Dennis Oelkers <dennis at lauschmusik.de> wrote:
>>So I asked a Samsung employee (they are consulting
>>customers in big
>>electronic retailers),
>>and he told me what I did not want to hear, that the
>>panel will only
>>display something, if there
>>is HDCP spoken on the DVI port
>
> Wow.  Thanks for alerting us to this fatal flaw of
> Samsung TV sets.  They had been on my "short list" of
> TVs to look at when I replace my Pioneer RPTV but this
> drops Samsung off my "approved" list.

I'll verify this behavior when I see my Samsung rep next week.

As far as recommendations on plasmas go, my top pick is the Fujitsu
family. Many people knock 'em because of the cost and lack of onboard
tuners and gadgets but in reality, this a plus. No fancy tuners, PIP,
phantom surround widgets, etcetera means more money going into the
quality of the panel and the comprehensive yet simplistic input
switching section. No money wasted on crap I'll never integrate because
it is redundant.

And the panel quality is there. It's no secret in my industry that these
are the finest, most reliable mass produced panels available. Anybody
recall who brought plasma panels to us in the first place? Fujitsu also
leads the industry (understatement) in manufacturing advances of panels.
  The motion processing in the 30 and 40 series is very effective, too.

Fortunately for you folks, Fujitsu just lowered SRP on these.
Unfortunately for me, they didn't drop dealer cost worth a darn.

HTH