[mythtv-users] MythFillDatabase: Unexpected System Shutdowns

Michael J. Emswiler mikee at emswilerenterprises.com
Sun Jan 30 03:03:25 EST 2005

I am experiencing the entire computer shutting down as a result of specific
commands.  My system specs are listed below.  This happens whenever I run
mythfilldatabase or when the install script for mythtvburn tries to run the
imagemagick convert command.  Other than this "shutdown" issue, things work
dreamily.  Unfortunately, the guide is integral part of the system for
recording TV.

The peculiar thing is that it happens predictably with certain commands.  Is
there a mythfilldatabase log that might help me ascertain what it's trying
to do exactly when the system shuts off?  Trying to watch it and see the
last thing printed before the monitor goes blank is not possible (at least
not by me and *my* eyes.)

My work around during the auto-install was to not define an Input Source
until after.  Curiously at some point was able to get mythfilldatabase to
make it all the way through once.  It might have been a result of the many
attempts and subsequent boots - does it remember where it last was and
resume or start completely over everytime?  If it has some sort of resume
algorithm, maybe that's how I got through it before - and I suppose I could
keep retrying to see if it ever makes it through again, but obviously this
is not an acceptable long term solution.

Is there a more manual procedure for filling the program guide database?  I
mean, it looks like mythfilldatabase is doing wgets from zap2it to get XML
files and then running some sort of transformation algorithm to generate SQL
queries, but I'm just guessing.

My BIOS settings are fairly standard - no overclocking yet, etc.

I'm running :

KnoppMyth R4V5 (fairly standard auto-install)

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe (with BIOS upgrade a few days ago) (460w PS)
AMD Athlon XP 3000/400FSB "Barton" w/ 2x512MB DDR PC 3200
LeadTek GeForce 6600 GT APG 8x
200GB WD 7200RPM IDE
Asus DVD-RW
PVR 350 (wished I had just gotten a 250 ... but oh well)

Thanks for any insight.

MikeE