[mythtv-users] Hauppauge pvr-350 or pvr-500

Marius Schrecker masch at tiscali.no
Sun Jul 3 03:30:41 EDT 2005

Thanks Dewey,

>> I will be using the HTPC into a flat LCD screen with DVI in. If I use
DVI
>> then the hardware decoder of the 350 is irrelevant, but what is the >>heat/noise
tradeoff for software decoding likely to be using the AMD processor?

>I think you may
>be a bit confused about your components. All of the
>x50 cards (and the 500) are hardware encoding. The difference is that
>the 350 does hardware decoding, which is completely irrelevant if your
>sending the signal out through DVI.

Sorry if I was unclear. Was actually aware of that. The question is whether
I should forget both the 500 and dvi out and go for the 350 using the scart.
The picture quality will not be as good, but it may help keep noise levels
down.

So, to rephrase:

How much heat can I expect playback of high quality encoded film to generate
using software decoding?

Also: The 350 only supports mpeg2 en/de-coding, right? So DivX, for example,
will be software only anyway?

>Support is best for the 250/350, which have the same capture
>circuitry. People have got the 150/500 cards working, but with a lot
more tweaking around with ivtv.

I see a howto for the 500 using knoppmyth. Will be using anothe knoppix
variant so assume much of what is there will be relevant.

>Some m>odels of the nvidia fx5200 have CRT, S-video, and DVI out with
>passive (heatsink) cooling. I picked one up in the bargain bin at
>Microcenter for around $50, but you should be able to find a new one
>for $65 or less.

Thanks, will look for that. Would you all agree that picture quality is
better on Nvidia that on ATI with the ATI driver?? I have to say I was impressed
with how my old ATI coped with a 50Hz tv, but that is irrelevant now.

Cheers

Marius
Registered Linux user