[mythtv-users] sounds output livetv is gone

Ant Daniel antdaniel at gmail.com
Sun Jul 3 11:15:15 EDT 2005

On 7/3/05, Korey Fort <k.m.fort at gmail.com> wrote:
> Run xmms! I know it makes no sense but if you run xmms it might just give
> you a pop up telling you that your device is in use. I haven't had your
> problem with livetv but I have had a similar problem with audio coming from
> desktop sounds.
>
> "Let ye without segmentation fault cast the first int!"
>
> Korey Fort

Reading the original post, it's very possible that it's nothing to do
with the soundcard.

The reason for this belief is that he states that there's no sound
coming out of the PVR if wired up directly.

Run this command (with your output wired up to the sound card):
/usr/bin/aplay /usr/share/sounds/KDE_Startup.wav

If you get sound then it's the PVR.

First of make sure you haven't muted it, ivtvctl -Y and the setting
for mute should be 0,
if it's 1 try ivtvctl -y mute=0.

Otherwise post the IVTV stuff from /var/log/messages (pref to the ivtv
mailing list) there might be information that helps.

I had a similar problem because msp3400.ko & tuner.ko hadn't been loaded.

What does ivtvctl -Y say under Volume? When I had this problem it was
0, and and trying to set (ivtvctl -y volume=50000) had no effect.

Hope this helps,
Ant.