[mythtv-users] Non-Nvidia Graphics Card Recommendations for HDTV

Scott catfather at donpoo.net
Tue Jul 5 01:12:55 EDT 2005

On Jul 3, 2005, at 3:14 PM, Marius Schrecker wrote:

> I had an ATI card (9200SE) on my AMD 64 box which I was very
> pleased with.
> Clearer and more stable picture into an old %0Hz TV than I have had
> with
> any Nvidia card. Never quite got OpenGL and Screen resize and
> rotate working
> before the machine was stolen, but that's because I didn't get
> around to
> it. I will be going with a Radeon X300 card (PCI-E) now when I
> build the
> replacement.

Beware ATI cards for HDTV. For me when trying to view 1080i content I
have the 'pink bar' issue which is to say that the right 1/4 of the
full screen window shows up as pink resulting in a cut off image. As
far as I can tell this has been reported as a defect against the
radeon driver and the way it handles xv scaling of 1280x720 or
larger.  I have not tested yet if the binary ATI driver has the same
issue.

I don't know for sure if all ATI cards that use the xorg radeon
driver are affected. Perhaps others can chime in and confirm or deny
the problem using the sample HDTV clip found in the downloads section
www.pchdtv.com. Other content that isn't HD 720p or 1080i looks great
on my ATI cards however..

--
Scott <catfather at donpoo.net>