[mythtv-users] Success story: PVR-150, Mandrake 10.1

Nick Rout nick at rout.co.nz
Tue Jul 5 06:58:33 EDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-05 at 08:44 +0200, Milos Prudek wrote:
> Yesterday I installed Myth on Mandrake 10.1. After reading this list for
> 2 years I expected to spend a week installing myth. Especially because I
> decided to buy PVR-150, which has unstable drivers.
>
> No such luck. All I needed was a few hours. Jarod's guide was not used
> at all. The following description summarizes my experience and it will
> be useful to a somewhat experienced Mandrake user.
>
> Step 1) ivtv download and installation
>
> - Downloaded and installed ivtv-0.3.3k simply by following the first ten
> lines in doc/install.txt.

any reason you used an older version? I installed mine a week or so ago
and 0.3.6r was the latest, and I just checked and found that its up to
0.3.6w !

>  You can skip the rest of install.txt
> - DO NOT use the instructions in QuickSetup for modprobe.conf
> modification. It may causes hard lockup of the OS when you run "modprobe
> ivtv" later on. Instead enter this into your modprobe.conf:
> alias char-major-81 videodev
> alias char-major-81-0 ivtv
> That is right. Just two lines. ivtv-0.3.3 will figure out the rest.

this is also my experience with ivtv and the pvr-150 (gentoo). It also
led to problems in that when I initially just modprobed ivtv (after
compiling and installing) it (unexpectedly) worked first time. I was
amazed. Then I put all that extra bumf in modules.conf, rebooted and it
stopped working. Took me ages to work out I had to go back to letting it
guess its own parameters.

One thing to be sure of is that you need ivtv modprobed before you start
mythbackend.

> I can't express how amazed I am with the Myth abilities and the sheer
> scope of functions it supports. This installation was definitely worth
> my time.

ditto. I have toyed with myth from 0.10 to 0.18.1, but I've only
seriously built a separate box with 0.16 and 0.18.1. There sure has been
a big improvement over the last couple of years. (0.10 was installed in
Aug 2003)

Nick Rout <nick at rout.co.nz>