[mythtv-users] [OT] Partitioning for Max Space

Stuart Morgan stuart at tase.co.uk
Tue Jul 5 07:53:58 EDT 2005

I'm replacing an existing myth drive with a quieter model. My main problem is
that I'm losing upto 8Gb between the partition size and the actual space
available.

It might be that I have to accept this loss but as it represents between 5-8
hours of recordings I'm looking for some advice. Is there any
formula/filesystem which might get me better results?

The 80Gb drive (Samsung Spintpoint) is carved up as follows:

Name    Flags    Part Type  FS Type     Size (MB)
hdb1    Boot      Primary     Linux ext3   3003.68 (/)
hdb2                  Primary     Linux swap 510.94   (swap)
hdb3                  Primary     Linux ext3   3003.68  (TV Cache)
hdb4                  Primary     Linux ext3   73535.94 (Recordings)

In reality I'm getting only ~65Gb versus 73Gb. The structure is based on the
knoppmyth created partition table on the old (40Gb) drive.
--
Stuart Morgan