[mythtv-users] XBox questions

chris at cpr.homelinux.net chris at cpr.homelinux.net
Thu Jul 7 14:19:54 EDT 2005

On Thu, Jul 07, 2005 at 12:25:38PM -0400, David Barr wrote:
> On 6/30/05, chris at cpr.homelinux.net <chris at cpr.homelinux.net> wrote:
> > I have picked up a used XBox and will be installing Linux and the XBox
> > MythTV frontend.  I have a few questions:

> Are you sure that OS and Dashboard version on your Xbox are old enough
> to support installation using save-game hacks?  New versions of the
> Xbox software are not as susceptible to these tricks.  You might need
> a modchip, and newer versions of Xbox hardware aren't compatible with
> the open-source Cromwell BIOS.

The X-Box I picked up was a v1.0 with a 10Gb drive.  It had never been
connected to X-Box Live so it had the original dashboard.  The hardest
part of the whole installation was finding an original Mech Assault as
most rental and used-game places only had the patched version.  I found
one eventually and now I'm running Xebian and MythTV-frontend just fine.
I downloaded the EvoX dashboard but so far haven't found a reason to
install it as the current setup works well.