[mythtv-users] Sync/stutter when both tuners record? WAF crashing and burning

Anthony Floyd anthonyfloyd at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 17:21:25 EDT 2005

> way to check which tuner recorded what program?  Could my problem be
> memory-related?  I have 512MB in the machine, and it seems to run fairly
> 'full' - I've seen it at 1% or 2% free when a lot was going on.

Hi Steve,

Sorry to hear about your problems.  512MB should be plenty.  I'm
running a similar setup (Athlon XP 2500+, 512 MB, 1x350, 1x250,
NForce2, etc) and when both tuners are running, I have no problems at
all.

When you say 1% or 2% free, how are you checking this?  If you run
"free -m" at the command line, it'll give you a breakdown of your
memory usage.  The first line might make things look pretty occupied,
but you'll probably notice that a good deal of your space is occupied
by the disk cache.  The second line is the interesting one, showing
the "used" and "free" memory when the disk cache is removed from the
numbers.  When my machine (frontend + backend combined) is recording
on both tuners, (and watching a recording, and serving an mp3 to me
here at work, transcoding through lame...) I'm only seeing ~16% CPU
usage, and the memory used is 271 MB (231 MB free).

Could the problem be your hard drives?  DMA is enabled?

Cheers,
Anthony.