[mythtv-users] [OT] NForce2 Mono sound only

Trevor Hill trevor.hill at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 19:06:59 EDT 2005

On 7/7/05, John Kuhn <kuhn at razorsys.com> wrote:
> if you compile the latest ALSA from the site (not from the kernel) there
> has been some work done on this chipset and it will allow you to adjust
> the volumes
>
> >I got it working right out of the box under FC1 and didn't really have
> >much of a problem (well, once I dumped both KDE and gnome and went
> >back to ratpoison).  That'll teach me to dork with something that's
> >already working well.

> >>Heh.  I've got the same board (running FC1) and I can't even get my
> >>mixer to work at all -- it looks like it's working, but there's never
> >>any change in the actual volume levels.
> >>
> >>Good luck.
> >>
> >>-JAC

I tried both Chris and Mike's suggestions...no dice. :(  Incidentally,
my ALSA modules were configured identically to Chris and my .asoundrc
was extremely close, as well.  The weird thing is this:

[mythtv at teevee ~]$ aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Side_Right.wav
Playing WAVE '/usr/share/sounds/alsa/Side_Right.wav' : Signed 16 bit
Little Endian, Rate 48000 Hz, Mono

The "Mono" on the end there never changes, even if the file is
definitely stereo.

For more spamminess, some amixer output:

Simple mixer control 'Master',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [on]
Simple mixer control 'Master Mono',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Mono: Playback 28 [90%] [on]
Simple mixer control 'PCM',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 255
  Front Left: Playback 255 [100%] [on]
  Front Right: Playback 255 [100%] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Surround',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Front Left: Playback 26 [84%] [on]
  Front Right: Playback 26 [84%] [on]

That third line ("Playback channels: Mono") is what troubles me.  It
seems to imply that no matter what other surround or stereo jazz goes
on inside the card, it is set up to pipe everything through a
mono-out.  And that's where I can't figure out how to change things.

I might try using CVS alsa drivers, but I'm always loathe to play with
stuff like that if I'm just missing something obvious here.  Thanks to
everyone for their suggestions so far, though.

--Trevor